Reign Member Spotlight 2018 | Movember Edition: Sam Taungakava
In an effort to highlight and bring more awareness to Men’s Health for Movember, we wanted to spotlight a few of our Reign Fitness Men this month…
…to help us get to know the individuals that make up our community better.
Now onto the Member Spotlight and Sam! Sam came to Reign, took our community by storm with his kindness, and his work ethic was second to none. He portrays all the characteristics of a successful athlete but most importantly he fit into our Reign Family like a long lost brother.
Reign wouldn't be the same place without him!
Here is Sam…
34 years old
1. What (who) brought you to Reign?
You guys came highly recommended by my good friend Angela Nelson.
2. Why did you decide to participate in 'Movember?'
Raising awareness to men's health and to push myself more.
3. What is the most significant change - whether social, physical, mental…you have experienced since you have been at Reign?
For sure my physical appearance but most importantly socializing because I can be an introvert.
4. Tell us a little about yourself. What's a Day In The Life of Sam?
I'm usually up by 4:30am getting ready for the 5am class. By 8:30am I've dropped the kid at daycare then run errands and then be at the shop for tattoos by 11am. At 4:30pm I'm now finishing up anything I'm doing to catch the 5pm barbell class and then I pick up my kid at 6.
I try really hard to eat somewhere in between.
5. Share your favorite memory so far at Reign.
My favorite and rude awakening memory was realizing that I couldn't keep up with the woman in the class( it didn't matter which class). Now I just slow down and keep at my own pace and hopefully I get up there.
6. What are your goals or aspirations leading into the New Year?
The goal has always been to drop down to 210lbs or lower but now I'm adding another goal and it's to potentially compete by the middle or end of next year.
7. First CD you bought & Favorite Movie of all time...
I don't remember ever buying a CD ( thanks Napster ) but my favorite movie so far has to be 300!
8. What are your hobbies outside of Reign?
I do pyrography ( burning designs into wood )
9. Who is your hero and why?
I definitely look up to any single parent out there. Knowing the challenges of being a parent myself really makes me appreciate what I have and who I have.
10. If you could have dinner with any three people in the world, who would it be and why? What would you eat?
I'm inviting Joe Rogan, Bill and Malinda Gates. I admire Joe's comedic spin on most issues and I would like to pick the Gates minds on how they are making a difference. Italian food for the menu.
11. What accomplishment are you most proud of (outside and inside of the gym)?
Inside the gym would most likely be PR'ing on some of the Olympic style lifting and outside would be having more energy/better shape to play with my son.
12. What advice would you give to anyone including men looking to start their fitness journey?
Your biggest possession is your health.
Invest in it so you can spend more time with those you love. It will cost you more at the end if you don't.
Figuretively and literally.
I love... Reign
I am... a proud member of Reign
I wish... you guys a healthy/speedy birthing
I eat... most foods put in front of me
Don't Forget the ReignDeer Challenger Series starts on Monday! 4 Workouts, 4 weeks, Stay accountable in December. Check out more details here: "ReignDeer Challenger Series"